To follow this blog by email, enter your email address and click "submit":

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Demopolis Veteran's Day Weekend Trip, 2013

Saturday, November 9th, 2013

Glenda Says:
Yea!! We are finally back on the boat.  I have not been on a trip since last Veterans Day weekend.  Even the road trip down to Demopolis was nice.  The fall folliage is as beautiful as I have ever seen.  We easily got here and set up at the new part of the marina.  We went ahead and ate an early lunch before we headed down the river.  The scenery is lovely.  The river was really quiet even though there appeared to be a fishing tournament around somewhere.  Daisy has settled in nicely.  We rode down to the dam and then back up the river a little way.  We saw a herd of beautiful does, a very regal looking osprey and lots of turtles.  We came back to the marina around 3:00, took about a 30 minute walk around the sidewalk past beautiful old historic homes.  Then we went to Halls catfish place and ate too much.  The facilities are very nice.  I am now sitting in the cozy laundry/bathhouse area, watching the Alabama-LSU game on a big screen tv.  Not bad for roughing it. 

Doe deer near the Demopolis Lock and Dam

There are numerous creeks, sloughs, and such along this section of the Tenn-Tom waterway, some opening up to large lakes.

The "Crimson White" tugboat, pushing 6 barges, came down the Black Warrior River and turned upstream on the Tenn-Tom. I assume the owner is an Alabama fan !

This Osprey appeared to enjoy posing for the camera. To say he was beautiful is a real understatement.

From Tom:

When we got checked in at the Marina and found our slip, we checked out the facilities and found them to be just as nice as the internet reviews stated they were. We are staying at the "Kingfisher Bay Marina" which is a fairly new facility just North of the older Demopolis Yacht Basin. The two are owned and managed by the same people, and they have the customer service down pat.
After taking a quick look at all the really big, really nice, really expensive boats at the marina, we untied and motored out and headed downstream toward the lock and dam. It was hard for me to stop grinning, it felt so good to be back on the water!
My last trip on the tugboat was in early April, and I spent most of my time since then recovering first from open heart surgery (four bypasses), then from the implant of a pacemaker. I'm feeling great now, and this boat trip feels like the official end of my recovery and the beginning of a new time in my life when I'm feeling better than I have in years!
Our little tug is starting to show some age, and I didn't even have time to giver her a much needed bath before we left home, but she still putters along quietly at about 6 miles per hour. She doesn't leak or complain. We only travelled a little over 16 miles today, but tomorrow we'll have all day to explore this little corner of creation. I'll let you know tomorrow night what we saw!

No comments:

Post a Comment