Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Day 14 Bringing Dusty Weather home June 10

We didn't move the boat today. Our friends Danny and Nancy picked us up at the marina and took us to run all our errands. I got oil and filters for the boat and after lunch I changed the oil, and checked all the fluids, belts, hoses, etc. The Isuzu diesel engine uses two large oil filters and holds 4 gallons of oil. This, and the conservative oil change schedule of the previous owner, are surely the main reasons the engine still runs so well. It starts instantly, doesn't smoke or use any oil, and hasn't missed a beat since we left Ft. Pierce almost 2 weeks ago.
The Lady of the Lake greets you at the entrance to Barber Marina.

An Alabama State Trooper boat at Barber Marina.

Our plan is leave here tomorrow morning and cross Mobile Bay, getting north of the City and into the protected waters of the Mobile River before anchoring for the night. That will put us about 200 miles, or 4 days, from Demopolis. So, barring any delays, our trip will end around Monday of next week.

Glenda says:
We had a quiet night at Barber Marina until about 5:15 am when someone's car alarm went off.  But that was ok because we lots to do.  I took Daisy for a walk and then put in some laundry.  Our friends Danny and Nancy had kindly offered to take us to breakfast and let us pick up some supplies.  I have developed cellulitis in my thumb and was a little afraid to go another week without antibiotics so we even made a stop at an urgent care center and got that taken care of.  Once again God placed someone in just the right spot at just the right time.  Breakfast at the Summerdale diner was delicious and it was great to be able to catch up with old friends.  
We were also excited to be able to give them a tour of the boat!

After they left I finished laundry and relaxed.
As I was reading below deck I heard a strange sound, I quickly looked out the porthole and caught sight of a dolphin cruising around the empty slip beside us.  From that perspective I almost felt I was in the water with him.  Even now as I write this we can hear the sound of the blowhole so we know it is back we just can't see him.   The breeze on the cockpit feels wonderful.  The stars are beautiful.  Tomorrow we will get across Mobile Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment